By Jes Salter
COUNCILLORS are wasting up to £20,000 of community grant money by playing party politics, one councillor on the committee warned today.
Emily Fieran-Reed said that the West Area Committee, which has a Labour majority, ignored her community proposals and instead said they needed to spend up to £20,000 on consultation.
Fieran-Reed, a Liberal Democrat councillor in St Mary’s ward, said: “Each area got £80,000 to spend on the community and I was the only one who submitted any ideas. I liaised closely with different community leaders but my ideas have all been thrown out.
“Labour councillors have suggested spending £10-20,000 on a consultation. That has not even been costed, it’s just a figure plucked from the air.”
Fieran-Reed also suggested that the committee should involve local residents but this was refused by other councillors.
Fieran-Reed said: "This budget is meant to fund local projects. I had several things that local residents told me they wanted, so I put them forward. It seems that Labour just aren't in touch enough with their residents to be able to get ideas together.
"As far as I can see, when Labour saw that a Lib Dem was the only person with any suggestions, they just decided to delay it. They wouldn't even consider my suggestions and voted instead to create more bureaucracy and waste £10,000 from this small fund.”
The community chest has £80,000 available to local groups in St Mary’s, Caledonian, Barnsbury and Holloway wards who pledge to make West Area cleaner and safer. Applicants have to apply for the money by December 8 and Fieran-Reed accused her fellow committee members of wasting time.
The Lib Dem councillor’s proposals included an environmentally friendly garden, more CCTV cameras, revamping a football pitch and a new stage at Unity Church.
She said: “I don’t feel like I’ve let people down - I presented their ideas. Labour have let people down.”
Wednesday, 4 October 2006
Councillor warns of wasting grant money
Posted by
P & P
at
19:54
Labels: community chest, council, grant, Jes Salter, labour, lib dem
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment