Wednesday, 25 October 2006

Optician focuses mind on New York Marathon

By Anh Nguyen

AN OPTICIAN from Highgate will be taking part in a record-breaking marathon in New York on 5th November, for a charity close to his late wife’s heart.

Andrew Keech, 43, whose wife Christina died last year of bone cancer, will be running the marathon for Mind, a UK mental health charity where Mrs Keech used to work as branch secretary.

“I come from a family of good runners,” he said. “I wanted to focus my mind, and I believe that running is good mind therapy. I’m raising money for Mind because my wife used to work there as a branch secretary.”

The marathon’s course will start at Staten Island and finish in Central Park. Last year, 36,856 people from all over the world crossed the finish line.

This year, Mr Keech will be one of over 3,000 runners from the UK competing in largest marathon in history. It will be his first marathon, but his nine to five job as an optician at MYeyes in Clerkenwell does not stop him from training.

“I run 75km a week, soon to reach 80km. I run at least four times a week, either after work or in the morning at weekends,” he explained.

Mind provided Mr Keech with diet and training programmes to prepare for the marathon, and said it was grateful to him for helping them raise money.

John McCollum, head of events at Mind, said: “An example of how the money raised by Andrew may be used could be to expand Mind’s Infoline, which offers vital confidential help on a range of mental health issues to thousands of callers every year.”

Kerk Davies, the company director of Myeyes, is confident that Mr Keech will complete the course.

“I’m full of admiration for him. It’s a very worthy cause. I hope he does it in the time he wants without injuring himself. I’m sure he’ll complete the journey.”

Anyone who wants to sponsor Mr Keech can donate online at: www.justgiving.co.uk/andykeech

No comments: